Happy national tequila day!! I’m always bummed when a “national anything alcoholic” day falls on a week day. I want to celebrate but I cannot be going to work hungover. Yes, I’ll be hungover even after just one.
Hangover-Free Tequila Recipe
What better way to celebrate national tequila day with a hangover-free tequila BBQ!? I impulsively created this chicken recipe last night. I wanted a southwestern, fresh-mex style dinner last night, so after adding some lemon juice, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper into a gallon bag filled with two chicken breasts, I reached into the cabinet and grabbed the tequila.
To be honest, I really wanted a margarita but knew I couldn’t handle going to work this morning if I gave in. Instead, I added a shot of golden tequila to the marinade.
The chicken marinated in the mixture for about ten-fifteen minutes. Basically, it marinated the entire time it took me to get my BBQ gear together and walk down to my apartment’s BBQ area, preheat and clean the BBQ. Once the BBQ temp gauge was at about 450-500 degrees, I placed the chicken on the grill, closed the lid and stared at Instagram for ten minutes. Then, I flipped the chicken and stared at Facebook for about ten minutes. It was finally ready.
Serving it Up
I diced the chicken into bite size pieces and served it over my southwest black bean salad and power greens (any mixed greens work). I also crumbled a little cotija cheese on top. SO GOOD. If you like it spicy, add some hot sauce, that’s what my boyfriend did.
Hangover-Free Tequila Grilled Chicken
By July 24, 2017Published:
- Yield: 2-4 Servings
A delicious, hangover-free recipe to celebrate national tequila day (or any day for that matter). Tangy, spicy, slightly sweet, it is the perfect summertime healthy BBQ meal.
- 2 Chicken Breasts Boneless
- 1 shot Tequila
- 2 Tbs Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Place two chicken breasts in a gallon bag.
- Add tequila and lemon juice to the bag. swirl the bag around so chicken is coated.
- Add the seasonings to the bag of chicken and marinade. Swirl around so all of the seasonings are coating the chicken. Let marinade for about 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat the BBQ to 450-500 Degrees. Grill the chicken 7-10 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Serve over a salad, rice and beans, or make a burrito bowl with it. This chicken is delicious anyway you serve it!