Mayo-Free Zesty Potato Salad: A Healthier Alternative
The BBQ’s are heating up big time this summer. There is nothing better than some grilled meat and the classic BBQ side: potato salad. Unfortunately, potato salad recipes are usually filled with mayo, sour cream, and a plethora of anything but nourishing ingredients. Not anymore. I whipped up this quick, zesty potato salad to solve that problem.
It’s perfect for any Fourth of July or Memorial Day BBQ! I used red, white, and purple potatoes. When cooked, it looks red, white, and blue. Patriotic, delicious, and way healthier for you than traditional potato salad.
1 bag of the potato medley from Trader Joe’s or 3 of each: small- medium red, white, and purple potatoes.
2 Persian cucumbers
5 fresh basil leaves chopped
1 clove of garlic minced
What did I dress it with?
Not only is this delicious, healthier, and much lower on the fat and calorie count than traditional potato salad, but it’s REFRESHING and light. Perfect for attending BBQ’s while maintaining a clean diet or just as a healthier alternative side dish.
Potato Salad Variations
Red onion and/or hard boiled egg would be DELICIOUS in this recipe.
If you prefer a creamier potato salad: divide the cooked potatoes in half. Mash one half then toss in a large bowl with the other half before mixing in the cucumber, basil, garlic, and dressing.
I want to hear from you!
Comment below and let me know if you try this recipe and if you make any variation of it! Don’t forget to post a pic on Instagram and use #saladsandselfies or tag me @saladsandselfies.
Mayo-Free Zesty Potato Salad
By June 7, 2017Published:
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Ready In: 50 mins
A light, refreshing alternative to traditional potato salad. It is perfect as a side dish for summer BBQ's, or as a side to any meal really!
- 1 Bag Trader Joe's Potato Medley Cut into quarters (Under 2
- 2 Persian Cucumbers Chopped
- 1-2 Cloves of Garlic Minced
- 2 Heaping TSPS Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 C Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 Tbs Olive Oil
- 5 leaves Fresh Basil Chopped
- After washing and dicing the potatoes, place them in a pot of boiling water for 12-15 minutes.
- Immediately after boiling, transfer the potatoes into a bowl and set aside. I like to place the bowl of potatoes into an even larger bowl filled with ice to speed their cooling process. Once cool enough, place the potatoes in the refrigerator while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Rinse and chop the Persian cucumbers. Set aside.
- Rinse and chop the basil leaves. Set aside.
- Mince the garlic. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the dijon mustard, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.
- Take the bowl of potatoes out of the fridge or wherever they were set aside. Add the cucumber, basil, and garlic and toss.
- Finally, pour the dressing over the potato salad and toss/mix up. Set aside or in the fridge until ready to be served. This potato salad tastes amazing both cold and room temperature.