Blissful Bliss Balls
I’ve been craving some Doves Coconut Creme chocolates really bad lately. They’re probably my favorite candy of all time, but you can only buy them around Easter. Unfortunately when I treated myself to them a few weeks ago I ate the entire bag in 24 hours. Holy fudge balls, that was not good. Time for an alternative!
So looking for a snack the other day, I was reminiscing of my Nourishing Brownies. I didn’t want just chocolate, I NEEDED chocolate and coconut. So I decided to take the brownie recipe, amp it up, and create chocolaty coconutty bliss balls. (Or macaroodles as my boyfriend calls them)
This was a complete experiment. I’ve never made bliss balls in my life, let alone looked at a recipe for them. I’ve just seen them all over Instagram in their delicious glory. Luckily, my guessing turned out right in the end.
Lets Get Blissfull
(Or scroll straight to the bottom for the oh so easy recipe)
First, I counted out 17 dates. Plopped them straight into the food processor. (I LOVE food processor recipes! So easy and SO fast!)
Then, of course, almond butter! Almond butter helps hold all of the ingredients together, adds protein, healthy fats, and it’s super yummy. Plus thanks to Almond Joy, we all know how amazing coconut, chocolate, AND almonds go together.
Some chia seeds and flag seeds for extannutrients and omegas go in next. Then, the miracle of all miracles: Coconut Oil. Seriously, coconut oil can solve any problem. Trying to lose weight? Coconut oil. Need energy? Coconut oil. Yellow teeth? Coconut oil. Dry hair? Coconut oil. Acne? Coconut oil. I could honestly go on and on and never stop gushing about the gold that is coconut oil. So yes: next ingredient COCONUT OIL.
This is the pleasant surprise moment that I realized these bliss balls are going to have an AMAZING cake like texture. Also, right after, when I tasted a piece and went straight to heaven. All that was left to do was take a small spoon out of my cutlery drawer and begin scooping portions of the “dough ball”, rolling it between my palms to form a ball and then rolling it in a bowl filled with unsweetened shredded coconut to coat them.
Simply place in the fridge for about thirty minutes so they can firm up, then enjoy the heck out of them!
I want to hear from you!
Comment and let me know if you try these out! I’d love to hear from you! If you do and Instagram a pic, include #saladsandselfies !!
Coconut Cacao Bliss Balls
By April 2, 2017Published:
- Yield: 20 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
Delicious, nutrient packed little balls that taste like cake pops! The perfect guilt free snack (or dessert) to enjoy throughout the day. Vegan, gluten free, and refined sugar free.
- 17 Pitted Dates
- 1/3 C Coconut Flour
- 3/4 C Creamy Almond Butter (all natural!)
- 2 Tbs Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbs Chia Seeds
- 1 Tbs Ground Flax Seeds
- 1 Tbs Coconut Sugar I get mind at Trader Joes
- 2 Tbs Cacao Powder
- 2 Tbs Honey Raw
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 C Shredded Coconut UNSWEETENED!!
- Place all of the ingredients (except for the unsweetened shredded coconut!!) into the food processor. Place the shredded coconut aside in a bowl.
- Puree/Mix the ingredients until a large doughy ball forms (mixing on and off every 20 seconds for about one minute)
- Take a spoon ( a size that you would eat cereal with) from your cutlery draw and scoop a small amount out of the dough, roll it in between your palms to form a small ball.
- Roll the ball in the shredded coconut until it is coated then set aside, and repeat.
- Place finished balls in the refrigerator (covered, I like to place mine in a large Tupperware)